Re: Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers?

Max TenEyck Woodbury <mtew@cds.duke.edu>
26 Sep 1998 01:08:50 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers? chseet@mbox2.singnet.com.sg (C. H. Seet) (1998-09-22)
Re: Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers? vmakarov@cygnus.com (Vladimir Makarov) (1998-09-22)
Re: Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers? corbett@lupa.Eng.Sun.COM (1998-09-24)
Re: Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers? mtew@cds.duke.edu (Max TenEyck Woodbury) (1998-09-26)
Re: Anyone extended MAXTABLE in yacc parsers? vadik@siber.com (Vadim Maslov) (1998-09-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Max TenEyck Woodbury <mtew@cds.duke.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Sep 1998 01:08:50 -0400

Robert Corbett wrote:

> The reason the limit is 32500 is that the offsets into the table
> are shorts. To make tables larger than 32767 work, you will have
> to change a bunch of shorts to ints or longs.
>
> At the time I wrote Berkeley Yacc, machines had such small memories
> that using shorts instead of ints was a big plus. Times change.

I don't know if this is common practice, but I have found it useful to
'typedef' a new type when I think I need certain properties. The
typedef gives me a place to document the properties required and lets
me tailor the exact type used to the environment. This looks like a
place where that practice would be very useful.

I have recently started including macros for output modifiers
to match the typedefs, but that's another topic.

mtew@cds.duke.edu