Re: Exception Handling

Morten Christensen <mmc@oss.dk>
26 Sep 1998 01:07:19 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Exception Handling max1@mbank.com.ua (Maxim Reznik) (2002-08-10)
Re: Exception Handling fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Fergus Henderson) (2002-08-14)
Exception Handling tschirre@cs.curtin.edu.au (Bernhard Tschirren) (1998-09-13)
Re: Exception Handling mrs@kithrup.com (1998-09-18)
Re: Exception Handling enikitin@apk.net (1998-09-18)
Re: Exception Handling landauer@apple.com (1998-09-18)
Re: Exception Handling mmc@oss.dk (Morten Christensen) (1998-09-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Morten Christensen <mmc@oss.dk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Sep 1998 01:07:19 -0400

Bernhard Tschirren wrote:

> Could somebody please explain "zero runtime overhead" exception handling.
> Im only familiar with the traditional setjmp() / longjmp() methods.

My M.Sc. thesis discuss this and other methods for implementing
exception handling in compilers. The thesis also present a unified
method which have ZERO runtime overhead (except for native "C" calls
which may throw exceptions). The unified method supports native calls
and use unique code inspection techniques to avoid the traditional
table size problems associated with the static table approach normally
used to implement zero runtime overhead solutions.

You can download my thesis at:
http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc2550/archive/eh.pdf

By the way, the thesis is quite long so you should properly jump right
into the methods overview chapter.
---
Morten M. Christensen,
Odense, Denmark