Re: question on a "logical" cmp utility: a proposal

jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (Jacob Navia)
22 Sep 1998 01:21:48 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
question on a "logical" cmp utility taek@netscape.com (taek) (1998-09-18)
Re: question on a "logical" cmp utility: a proposal jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1998-09-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (Jacob Navia)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Sep 1998 01:21:48 -0400

I am routinely doing a "diff" of object/executables in my NT machine
using lcc-win32.

Procedure:
do a "dump" of object file 1 into some file (let's say ww1)
do a "dump" of object file 2 into some other file (ww2)
run "diff" between the two. Normally they should only differ by the date of
compilation. If there are any other differences, the will immediately show up.

The "dump" utility has different levels of detail, it can even
disassemble the executable/object code. Normally I just do a diff of
the first level. This will tell me if the size of any of the sections
has changed, and if the position of any of the data items has changed.

The dump utility is part of the lcc-win32 system.

If there is a difference in size, I can disassemble the sections or
extract them into two binary files (pedump does this too) and then see
where the differences start.

Of course it could be that the sections are the same size but
completely different. This is rarely the case however.

You will need a fast diff utility. lcc-win32's IDE provides this. This
will solve the problem for windows 95/NT. Other systems will differ.

If you need more info, or want some help please contact me by e-mail.
--
Jacob Navia Logiciels/Informatique
41 rue Maurice Ravel Tel 01 48.23.51.44