Re: Game scripting continues

Martin.Ward@SMLtd.Com (Martin Ward)
16 Aug 1998 22:40:53 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Game scripting continues davester@pacbell.net (1998-08-13)
Re: Game scripting continues Martin.Ward@SMLtd.Com (1998-08-16)
Re: Game scripting continues Pierre.Bru@spotimage.fr (1998-08-17)
Re: Game scripting continues kochenbu@khe.scn.de (1998-08-19)
Re: Game scripting continues nnylfv@ny.ubs.com (Olivier Lefevre) (1998-08-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Martin.Ward@SMLtd.Com (Martin Ward)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Aug 1998 22:40:53 -0400

> [Writing a C++ compiler is indeed nuts. Writing a preprocessor that lets
> you embed scripts in your C++ and massages them into calls to the script
> processor is doable and sometimes not a bad idea. But if he wants to have
> a compatible compiler and interpreter, that pretty much limits you to
> Common Lisp which is a wonderful language but hardly lightweight. I'd
> point out that the scripts are supposed to be fast enough that you don't
> need to compile them. -John]

There's also Scheme, which is "lighter" than Common Lisp with a
compatible compiler and interpreter. I use the Hobbit compiler
to compile Scheme to (fast) C code, if I hit a problem I re-run
the program under the Gambit Scheme interpreter which is 12 times
slower but has nice debugging facilities.

ftp://ftp-swiss.ai.mit.edu/pub/users/jaffer Latest scm Scheme and slib
ftp://ftp.cs.chalmers.se/b/users/tammet Latest Hobbit Scheme compiler
ftp://ftp.iro.umontreal.ca/pub/parallele/gambit/ Latest Gambit system

Martin

Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcs0mpw/ Erdos number: 4
Maintainer of the G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcs0mpw/gkc/
[Good point, I'd forgotten about Hobbit. -John]