Re: Compiler Construction Tools?

pjfarley@banet.net (Peter J. Farley III)
2 Aug 1998 23:55:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compilier Construction Tools? shindle@toocool.com (1998-07-26)
Re: Compilier Construction Tools? vmakarov@cygnus.com (Vladimir Makarov) (1998-07-27)
Re: Compiler Construction Tools? dimock@mass.eas.harvard.edu (Allyn Dimock) (1998-07-28)
Re: Compiler Construction Tools? friwi@prosun.first.gmd.de (1998-07-28)
Re: Compiler Construction Tools? lex@natlab.research.philips.com (Augusteijn, dr.ir. A.) (1998-07-30)
Re: Compiler Construction Tools? dwight@pentasoft.com (1998-07-31)
Re: Compiler Construction Tools? pjfarley@banet.net (1998-08-02)
Re: Elegant Diagrammer wdonovan@webtv.net (1998-08-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: pjfarley@banet.net (Peter J. Farley III)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Aug 1998 23:55:40 -0400

>I went to the web site and didn't see mention of a port to Win32.
>Has that been done, and it just isn't listed yet?

Dwight,

I downloaded the Linux binary and the source distribution, and in the
source distribution (under docs/Ports) there's a file called
DOSCross.ps, a postscript file (5 pages) that describes a very complex
process of setting up a PC to compile an *application* for execution
under DOS, that involves an active ethernet connection and PCNFS
between the PC and the unix system, running the tools under unix to
create a DOS executable, with some communication between the unix
system and the DOS system involving a utility called WAIT4SUN (!), and
which seems to be *very* Sun-oriented. There doesn't seem to be a DOS
port of the tools themselves, just a procedure to compile a
cross-to-DOS executable for a particular application written and
developed with elegant under unix. *Maybe* this procedure could
produce a working DOS set of tools, and then again maybe not -- the
doc does *not* make any references to this at all.

OTOH, there is a Linux distribution, which may be convertible to
DOS/DJGPP (for one example) or Cygwin (for another example) without
too much work (and then again, maybe not...).

IOW, the answer to your question would seem to be that there is *not*
a Win32 port yet.

Peter J. Farley III (pjfarley@nospam.dorsai.org OR
                                          pjfarley@nospam.banet.net)