Re: opinions wanted on control of extern inlines

saroj@my-dejanews.com
30 Jul 1998 23:11:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Language Books rrader@ford.com (Russell Rader) (1998-07-20)
Re: Language Books rlrader@ix.netcom.com (Russell Rader) (1998-07-26)
Re: Language Books rkneusel@post.its.mcw.edu (1998-07-27)
opinions wanted on control of extern inlines KittyCrap@severins-child.demon.co.uk (Rachel-Louise Koktava) (1998-07-27)
Re: opinions wanted on control of extern inlines dwight@pentasoft.com (1998-07-28)
Re: opinions wanted on control of extern inlines saroj@my-dejanews.com (1998-07-30)
Re: opinions wanted on control of extern inlines KittyCrap@severins-child.demon.co.uk (Rachel-Louise Koktava) (1998-08-02)
Re: opinions wanted on control of extern inlines bothner@cygnus.com (1998-08-02)
Re: opinions wanted on control of extern inlines jason@cygnus.com (Jason Merrill) (1998-08-04)
Re: opinions wanted on control of extern inlines KittyCrap@severins-child.demon.co.uk (Rachel-Louise Koktava) (1998-08-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: saroj@my-dejanews.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jul 1998 23:11:38 -0400

    dwight@pentasoft.com (Dwight VandenBerghe) wrote:
> On 27 Jul 1998 23:18:27 -0400, Rachel-Louise Koktava
> <KittyCrap@severins-child.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[Most unfounded gripes related to C++ are deleted]

> >I wish to control the production of so called "extern inlines" during
> >the compilation of c++ code. In particular, template instantiation,
> >vtables and copies of inline functions are causing unacceptable levels
> >of code bloat.
>
> I ran into the same problem with gcc 2.7, and it's a big problem.
>
> Can you move to EGCS? Or are you stuck with the vxworks compiler?

Use a better compiler like Sun 4.2 (or, soon 5.0) or KAI compiler on
different platforms. The template handling of gcc was the worst. So
do not draw your conclusions about C++ from your (outdated) experience
from gcc. If you take a mid size program written in C or old C++ and
rewrite it modern C++ using exceptions, templates, STL, concrete and
abstract classes, then you can get dramatic reduction in source code
size, great simplicity and thereby better performance.

Hope this helps,
Saroj Mahapatra