Re: LL1 program ???

Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de>
3 Jul 1998 22:53:11 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LL1 program ??? Andrea.Palmieri@ii.uam.es (Aulas de =?iso-8859-1?Q?Inform=E1tica?=) (1998-07-01)
Re: LL1 program ??? msrao@india.ti.com (Srikanth M) (1998-07-03)
Re: LL1 program ??? joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (1998-07-03)
Re: LL1 program ??? janaki@csa.iisc.ernet.in (Janaki S) (1998-07-10)
Re: LL1 program ??? napi@cel.mimos.my (1998-07-11)
Re: LL1 program ??? joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (1998-07-13)
Re: LL1 program ??? rod.bates@boeing.com (Rodney M. Bates) (1998-07-20)
Re: LL1 program ??? leichter@smarts.com (Jerry Leichter) (1998-07-21)
Re: LL1 program ??? jamz@my-dejanews.com (1998-07-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Jul 1998 22:53:11 -0400

Aulas de Inform=E1tica wrote:
> I am looking for a tool for transforming any language (given its
> grammar) into an equivalent one in its LL1 form.

It is unlikely that such a tool exists, as there are lots of languages
that do not have an LL1 grammar (but do have a LALR grammar, or a
grammar for some other parsing method). LL1 is one of the more
restricted language sets.

Rules to transform some common non-LL1 constructs into LL1 ones exist
(such as eliminating left-recursion), but these more often than not
lead to "unnatural" grammars that have only a rather remote connection
to what's really going on (which has unpleasant consequences for
associating semantic actions, or for checking whether your LL1 grammar
is really describing the language that you want nothing more or less).

Regards,
Joachim
-- =