Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading

Ben Speight <ceebds@cee.hw.ac.uk>
11 Jun 1998 16:59:11 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl (1998-06-09)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading tkb@access.mountain.net (1998-06-11)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading stephenb@harlequin.co.uk (Stephen J Bevan) (1998-06-11)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading ast@halcyon.com (1998-06-11)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading jsm@it.dtu.dk (Jørgen Steensgaard) (1998-06-11)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading ceebds@cee.hw.ac.uk (Ben Speight) (1998-06-11)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1998-06-18)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl (1998-06-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ben Speight <ceebds@cee.hw.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Jun 1998 16:59:11 -0400

>So, is there anyone who can point me into the direction of an algorithm
>(or articles from which an algorithm could be deduced) to handle this
>problem ? Surely, someone in this large world must have looked at the
>combination of polymorpism and overloading ?

I think you're going to have to elaborate on what precisely you mean
when you use these two words 'polymorphism' and 'overloading', and in
what manner you intend to combine them. C++ provides both with static
type checking, but I suspect you're after dynamically binding functions
based on the types of all arguments: so-called multimethods. You could
have a look at the literature on the Common LISP Object System*. I think
you need to get a very coherent idea in your head about what will and
won't be allowed, and what will and won't be known at compile-time,
before you embark down the road of proving things, though. What is
intuitive and obvious from the outside can soon become subtle and
devious when you become more involved.

Good luck, and happy researching...

Ben

* Try Bobrow, et al: Common LISP Object System Specification. Lisp and
Symbolic Computation 1,3 pp 245-293