Re: UCSD Pascal Bytecodes

albaugh@agames.com (Mike Albaugh)
15 May 1998 22:32:52 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
USCD Pascal Bytecodes sguthery@tiac.net (Scott Guthery) (1998-05-07)
Re: UCSD Pascal Bytecodes derek@knosof.co.uk (1998-05-12)
Re: UCSD Pascal Bytecodes rivie@rivie.daautah.com (1998-05-12)
Re: UCSD Pascal Bytecodes albaugh@agames.com (1998-05-15)
Re: UCSD Pascal Bytecodes wilker@math.purdue.edu (1998-05-15)
Re: UCSD Pascal Bytecodes derek@knosof.co.uk (1998-05-18)
Re: UCSD Pascal Bytecodes admin@rmonroe.demon.co.uk (Robert F. Monroe) (1998-05-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: albaugh@agames.com (Mike Albaugh)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 May 1998 22:32:52 -0400

Derek M Jones (derek@knosof.co.uk) wrote:

: The original owners, Softech Microsystems, sold the p-System to Pecan,
: Inc who went bust many years ago. A UK company, Cabot, then got a
: license from UCSD.

I am puzzled by this statement. IIRC, UCSD _was_ the original
owner. Softech was a shell company formed to "scrub off" some of the
obligations to which the UCSD folks had "overcommitted". At least,
that was the gist of what our lawyers told us in explaining why we
didn't have a hope in h*** of getting either the software we had
ordered or our money back. So, who _did_ actually write "UCSD Pascal",
and who were Softech? (and who got our money? :-) Not that it matters
at this date, but I am curious, from a historical perspective.

Mike