Re: What's available in Compiler Jobs ?

Thomas Lindgren <thomasl@harpo.csd.uu.se>
27 Apr 1998 23:31:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What's available in Compiler Jobs ? ajig@interpac.com.hk (Ajig Alcalde) (1998-04-15)
Re: What's available in Compiler Jobs ? dwight@pentasoft.com (1998-04-18)
Re: What's available in Compiler Jobs ? ast@halcyon.com (1998-04-18)
Re: What's available in Compiler Jobs ? ian@cygnus.com (1998-04-21)
Re: What's available in Compiler Jobs ? cliff.click@Eng.Sun.COM (Clifford Click) (1998-04-21)
Re: What's available in Compiler Jobs ? thomasl@harpo.csd.uu.se (Thomas Lindgren) (1998-04-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Thomas Lindgren <thomasl@harpo.csd.uu.se>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Apr 1998 23:31:10 -0400

Clifford Click <cliff.click@Eng.Sun.COM> writes:
> The future for this market? Welll... as long as chip architects and
> language designers are alive I got a job. Merced looks like full time
> employment for 20+ people for 5+ years (OUTSIDE of Intel & HP; they
> probably have double that number already and are always looking for
> more).

As far as I can see, there's quite a bit of work before we know
how to generate excellent code for Merced. The Illinois Impact
group is perhaps the most cutting of edges here, and they have
only begun scratching the surface on how to compile for predicated
execution. I predict it will be a long time before Merced compilers
routinely generate great code for ordinary integer programs.

As to other compiler jobs, there's always the embedded market:
customers want incredible code for legions of strange processors.
Plenty of hairy optimization problems there; all you have to do is
find the compiler manufacturer. (IAR Systems is only ten minutes away,
in my case :-)

Thomas
--
Thomas Lindgren, Uppsala University