Re: PL/I history

"Dr Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz>
3 Apr 1998 17:06:24 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Call by name in Algol-60 RogerHA@aol.com (RogerHA) (1998-03-07)
Re: Call by name in Algol-60 xxx@info.lv (1998-03-15)
Re: Call by name in Algol-60 lindsay-j@rmc.ca (John Lindsay) (1998-03-18)
Re: Call by name in Algol-60 xxx@info.lv (1998-03-20)
Jensen's device xxx@info.lv (1998-03-22)
Re: Jensen's device scott@basis.com (1998-03-24)
Re: Jensen's device mslamm@olive.mscc.huji.ac.il (1998-03-30)
Re: PL/I history ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz (Dr Richard A. O'Keefe) (1998-04-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Dr Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Apr 1998 17:06:24 -0500

> Column 1 is reserved for so-called ASA codes which control printing (e.g,
> you can ejest a page, by putting some character in col. 1). The PL/I
> compiler allows you to do this - so it skips col. 1. This is why you have
> to start coding in column 2. As far as I know, no relation to the EOF of
> JCL.

When I was a high school student, IBM (NZ) ran a one-week PL/I course
for high school students. This was admittedly a branch of IBM, not
the group tht designed PL/I, but *they* told me that the reason for
avoiding column 1 was the /* in JCL problem. Since the listing
generated by the PL/I compiler we used then did *NOT* put the first
character of your input card in the first column of the output record
(it put statement numbers or something at the beginning of each line),
putting ASA characters in column 1 of a card would have been
singularly ineffective.

Wasn't the mechanism for starting a new page a '%EJECT;' directive
or something like that?
[It was in the PL/I preprocessor. Enough on this topic. -John]