Re: C interpreter

"N. D. Culver" <ndc@alum.mit.edu>
22 Mar 1998 20:26:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C Interpreter ankit@cc.gatech.edu (Ankit Jain) (2000-09-13)
Re: C Interpreter frido@q-software-solutions.com (Friedrich Dominicus) (2000-09-15)
Re: C Interpreter adamo@dblab.ece.ntua.gr (2000-09-15)
C interpreter us214777@mmm.3m.com (1989-10-02)
C interpreter Ed.Breen@"CMIS".CSIRO.au (Ed Breen) (1998-03-18)
Re: C interpreter ndc@alum.mit.edu (N. D. Culver) (1998-03-22)
Re: C interpreter joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (1998-03-24)
Re: C interpreter ndc@alum.mit.edu (N. D. Culver) (1998-03-30)
Re: C interpreter Ed.Breen@cmis.csiro.au (Ed Breen) (1998-03-30)
Re: C interpreter ndc@alum.mit.edu (N. D. Culver) (1998-03-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "N. D. Culver" <ndc@alum.mit.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Mar 1998 20:26:10 -0500

EiC has been updated ...

<snip>

I read the somewhat obtrusive license for this product and wonder if
anyone really really wants an interpreting C compiler.

If so, there is a version of oxcc at:
<ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/c/oxcc1434.zip> which you
can examine. It compiles to bytecodes and also interprets full C,
almost all of the GCC extensions and setjmp,longjmp,alloca etc. It has
a dynamic linker and will link the interpreted code with hard code or
byte coded libraries. There is a sample back end which generates byte
codes and a virtual machine which interprets them.

The compiler itself is reentrant and occupies just one large module,
the interpreted code can call the compiler while being interpreted by
the compiler, the interpreted code can also gain access to its own AST
and symbol table.

I haven't fiddled with this stuff for a few years so the released
version runs only with go32 V1.12 the djgpp DOS extender.

It would be possible to restructure things so that someone could put
the whole caboodle into their application program.

In the last 3 years I've received less than 10 emails about oxcc and
most were complaining that they couldn't generate .exe files.

SO: if there is any real interest in this product I will juice it up a
little bit and release a new free version with no licensing
restrictions.

NOTE: source for the sample byte code generator and VM is
included. With a couple of weeks work someone could change it to use
Java byte codes. The system has a dynamic class dispatcher but you
would have to include a C garbage collector.

Norm Culver