Re: Regular expressions; cannonical form and reducer?

Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
8 Mar 1998 12:08:05 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Regular expressions; cannonical form and reducer? guthrie@mum.edu (1998-03-06)
Re: Regular expressions; cannonical form and reducer? matkin@iar.se (Mats Kindahl) (1998-03-07)
Re: Regular expressions; cannonical form and reducer? zss@ZenSpider.com (1998-03-07)
Re: Regular expressions; cannonical form and reducer? dietz@interaccess.com (Paul Dietz) (1998-03-08)
Re: Regular expressions; cannonical form and reducer? henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1998-03-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Mar 1998 12:08:05 -0500

Gregory Guthrie <guthrie@mum.edu> wrote:
>I am interested in any references to a standard cannonical form for
>regular expressions, and any system that would transform Regex into
>such forms.

It would be straightforward enough to do for "least common denominator"
regular expressions. The hard part would be constructing a standard form
which also covers all of the weird hacks people have added to various
flavors of regular expressions over the years.

A non-trivial related problem is that different implementations can yield
different behavior from identical regular expressions, because of subtle
(or not-so-subtle) differences in the matching algorithms. Capturing this
in a canonical form would be very difficult.