Re: Retargettable assembler?

Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com>
18 Feb 1998 23:14:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Retargettable assembler? mrzandor@aol.com (1998-02-15)
Re: Retargettable assembler? sandeep.dutta@usa.net (Sandeep Dutta) (1998-02-18)
Re: Retargettable assembler? shankar@cup.hp.com (Shankar Unni) (1998-02-18)
Re: Retargettable assembler? meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1998-02-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Feb 1998 23:14:14 -0500

mrzandor@aol.com (Mr Zandor) writes:

> I've written a VM's for a machine code a friend of mine thought up,
> but my shoddy, home-made table assembler can't compile RISC code.
> Does anybody know where I can get a versatile retargetable assembler?

Well, there is always the GNU assembler (in the binutils package,
available at many GNU ftp sites, including prep.ai.mit.edu). Of
course the learning curve (particularly the BFD library which handles
the object code) is somewhat steep.

I count 25 different machines supported in the currently available public
release (2.8.1).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA