Re: Windows RC grammar?

ian@cygnus.com
7 Dec 1997 22:04:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Windows RC grammar? kenji@alcatraz.net (Kenji Hino) (1997-11-13)
Re: Windows RC grammar? Isaac@yellow.submarine.pla (1997-11-20)
Re: Windows RC grammar? qjackson@direct.ca (1997-12-05)
Re: Windows RC grammar? WStreett@shell.monmouth.com (1997-12-07)
Re: Windows RC grammar? ian@cygnus.com (1997-12-07)
Re: Windows RC grammar? qjackson@direct.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1997-12-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: ian@cygnus.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Dec 1997 22:04:31 -0500

qjackson@direct.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) writes:

>On 13 Nov 1997 23:39:11 -0500, in comp.compilers Kenji Hino wrote:

>>Does anybody know where I can find the yacc/bison grammar of Windows
>>Resource file ?

>Having written a Windows PE and NE (32 and 16 bit) resource decompiler
>for my employer, and as the person in charge of maintaining the beast
>as it gives its best effort on the Front, I can say that I doubt
>Windows resources as encountered in the wild are as tame as a yacc or
>bison grammar would like.

I think he was asking for a resource compiler of .rc files, not a
decompiler of .obj or .exe files.

The next version of the GNU binutils will include a Windows resource
parser. It is able to convert .rc files to .obj files, using a
yacc/lex based grammar. If anybody wants the grammar I used, write
me, but it won't work without the rest of the binutils code.

It can also convert .obj files to something similar to a .rc file,
although I made no strong guarantee that the resulting .rc file would
compile back into an identical .obj file.

Extending this to handle Windows resource .bin files would be
straightforward.

Ian