Pattern Matching Language Syntax Opinons

"Quinn Tyler Jackson" <qjackson@direct.ca>
7 Dec 1997 21:58:33 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Pattern Matching Language Syntax Opinons qjackson@direct.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1997-12-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Quinn Tyler Jackson" <qjackson@direct.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Dec 1997 21:58:33 -0500
Comments: Authenticated sender is <qjackson@mail.direct.ca>

Hello:

I have been redesigning my pattern matching language grammar from
the ground up using Sandstone's Visual Parse++, an LALR(k) tool that
makes writing grammars a snap. So far, I have produced a grammar for
the following pattern:

{S :: {+=n'a';^n'b';^n'c';}}

Can one see by looking at the above that it expresses a match of the
famous a^n b^n c^n problem against S? I'm trying to make the
syntax of this new LPM compact, yet expressive. In old-style LPM,
the above would not have been expressable.

Another form of the above might read:

which adds the precondition that the a^n b^n c^n pattern will only
be applied to a substring that first matches the [a-z]{1-10}
clause.

Does this seem a manageable syntax to pursue? I can provide the
entire LALR(1) grammar to anyone who might want to take a looksee.

Thanks,

Quinn Tyler Jackson