Re: Multiply by a constant --> shift-and-adds algorithm?

Shankar Unni <shankar@powertelglobal.com>
15 Nov 1997 15:20:20 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Multiply by a constant --> shift-and-adds algorithm? ssolyanik@icdc.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1997-11-09)
Multiply by a constant --> shift-and-adds algorithm? txr@alumni.caltech.edu (Tim Rentsch) (1997-11-09)
Re: Multiply by a constant --> shift-and-adds algorithm? n8tm@aol.com (1997-11-11)
Re: Multiply by a constant --> shift-and-adds algorithm? dube@brachio.IRO.UMontreal.CA (Danny Dube) (1997-11-11)
Re: Multiply by a constant --> shift-and-adds algorithm? cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser) (1997-11-13)
Re: Multiply by a constant --> shift-and-adds algorithm? ssolyanik@icdc.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1997-11-14)
Re: Multiply by a constant --> shift-and-adds algorithm? shankar@powertelglobal.com (Shankar Unni) (1997-11-15)
Multiply by a constant --> shift-and-adds algorithm? preston@tera.tera.com (1997-11-16)
Re: Multiply by a constant --> shift-and-adds algorithm? cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser) (1997-11-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Shankar Unni <shankar@powertelglobal.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Nov 1997 15:20:20 -0500

Sergey Solyanik wrote:

> Christopher Glaeser wrote:
> > When testing various
> > compilers with different repeating bit patterns, I have measured compile
> > times of several minutes per constant, and on rare occasion, have
> > measured compile times as high as one hour per constant.
>
> Do you have examples? My version (and it is optimal) runs in
> couple of seconds for _ALL_ 32K numbers (executed in a loop from
> 1 to 32000, total time). One hour per constant seems uncomprehensible...

Exactly.

And even if it *did* take a bit of time, you'd only do this once: you
can then set up a static lookup table for each constant, and the
optimizer can do a simple lookup to issue a series of shifts and adds
instead of a multiply.

For instance, as far back as 1985, HP's optimizer (and assembler, for
that matter) used to have a lookup table for all constants upto 1037
(I believe), which was the highest number you could multiply with
using not more than 5 shift-add instructions (== 5 cycles - HP-PA has
SH1ADD, SH2ADD and SH3ADD instructions). Naturally, there are other
heuristics as well, like multiplying by constants equal to or near
powers of 2 (which can be done with a shift followed by a series of
shift-adds).
--
Shankar Unni Powertel Global, Inc.
(650) 259-1700 shankar@powertelglobal.com