Re: VLIW optimization question

Sergey Solyanik <ssolyanik@icdc.com>
13 Nov 1997 23:36:13 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
VLIW optimization question lsanju@miel.mot.com (Sanjay KL) (1997-11-11)
Re: VLIW optimization question ssolyanik@icdc.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1997-11-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Sergey Solyanik <ssolyanik@icdc.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Nov 1997 23:36:13 -0500

Sanjay KL wrote:

> 1. My problem is as follows :
> I've an expression which is in the form of a binary tree , now my aim is
> to search this particular sub-tree in a tree(which is also binary) and
> replace this particular sub-tree with a one statement command along
> with the operands .

Tree matcher (lburg) that seems to be adequate solution is described in
Fraser C., Hanson D., "A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and
Implementation".
Also more sophisticated algorithms for matching parse trees are in
Muchnick S., "Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation", and further
bibliography in that book.

General idea is that parse tree can be matched in the same way any input
string is matched by regular parser.

You can get lburg and bibliography from
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/iburg/

Regards --