Re: Parsing postal addresses

mac@coos.dartmouth.edu (Alex Colvin)
21 Oct 1997 21:24:06 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing postal addresses brians0@aol.com (1997-10-14)
Re: Parsing postal addresses lindsay_j@rmc.ca (John Lindsay) (1997-10-16)
Re: Parsing postal addresses cfc@world.std.com (1997-10-16)
Re: Parsing postal addresses dweller@news.imagin.net (1997-10-17)
Re: Parsing postal addresses henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1997-10-19)
Re: Parsing postal addresses mac@coos.dartmouth.edu (1997-10-21)
Re: Parsing postal addresses ct7@mitre.org (W. Craig Trader) (1997-10-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mac@coos.dartmouth.edu (Alex Colvin)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Oct 1997 21:24:06 -0400

brians0@aol.com (Brians0) writes:

>I am looking for information on parsing postal addresses (especially
>US addresses). Specifically, I am looking for code and/or libraries to
>standardize addresses (in accordance with USPS rules). Examples in
>JavaCC, Lex/Yacc, and PCCTS or pointers to libraries that do this
>would be best, but any help would be much appreciated.

typically you parse a US street address into
house number, pre-directional, street name, street type, post directional city, state, zip zip4
with optional apartment numbers and a wide set of abbrevioations.
The classic example is 123 E E E St. = 123E East E Street.

This takes more than a regular expression parser.
It's also a frequently solved problem. See
PostalSoft Inc. (http://www.postalsoft.com)
Qualitative Marketing (http://www.qmsoft.com)
Matchware Technologies (http://www.matchware.com)

Of course, if you want to parse French Canadian addresses...
--
Alex Colvin
alex.colvin@dartmouth.edu