Re: obj formats...

gclind01@spd.louisville.edu (George C. Lindauer)
19 Oct 1997 00:55:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
obj formats... adamskog@algonet.se (gulgi) (1997-10-17)
Re: obj formats... mcr@visi.com (Michael) (1997-10-19)
Re: obj formats... gclind01@spd.louisville.edu (1997-10-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gclind01@spd.louisville.edu (George C. Lindauer)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Oct 1997 00:55:30 -0400

gulgi (adamskog@algonet.se) wrote:
> I am makin' a compiler and I wanna fix so that it can do coff, elf and obj
> files as output... And I need some info of how those fileformats works....
> And also.. how exe files works... so that I can make a nice linker as
> well.. ;)

A guy named Simon Tatham has written a 386 assembler that supports most
object file formats, including elf and obj (and maybe the version of COFF
used by gcc). EXE file formats are fairly easy to find info on, except
I still haven't seen info on the windows NE format on the net. Someone
sent me one somewhere though...

Anyway a good place to ask about such low-level MSDOS issues is on
comp.lang.asm.x86, they deal with this stuff all the time and know
various URLs.

David