JIT machine code generation

"Srinivasan, Pattabi" <SRINIVASANP@phibred.com>
29 Jul 1997 13:36:00 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
JIT machine code generation SRINIVASANP@phibred.com (Srinivasan, Pattabi) (1997-07-29)
Re: JIT machine code generation pardo@cs.washington.edu (1997-07-31)
Re: JIT machine code generation Sergey.Solyanik@bentley.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1997-08-07)
Re: JIT machine code generation pardo@cs.washington.edu (1997-08-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Srinivasan, Pattabi" <SRINIVASANP@phibred.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Jul 1997 13:36:00 -0400

Hi:

I am interested in knowing the techniques used in JIT machine code
generation. e.g. some Java interpreters convert frequently used byte
code sections into machine code and transfer control to it. Where is the
machine code stored and how is control transfered? Is the machine code
just stored on the heap somewhere and a (*pointer_to_code_on_heap)() (or
some such mechanism) used? I know there was a thread on this a long time
ago and I don't know where the FAQ for this newsgroup is. Any comments
and pointers to references are appreciated. Thanks.

- Pattabi Srinivasan.