Re: Need extraction tool(parser)

nandu@lucent.com
21 Jul 1997 09:59:23 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need extraction tool(parser) rsimmons@xmission.xmission.com (Roger Simmons) (1997-06-30)
Re: Need extraction tool(parser) stevef7@erols.com (The Flanagans) (1997-07-08)
Re: Need extraction tool(parser) mzraly@athena.mit.edu (1997-07-09)
Re: Need extraction tool(parser) dwc3q@mamba.cs.virginia.edu (David W. Coppit) (1997-07-13)
Re: Need extraction tool(parser) nandu@lucent.com (1997-07-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: nandu@lucent.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Jul 1997 09:59:23 -0400

<Roger Simmons> Wrote:
!I need a program that will do the following:
!Search for a pattern in an annotated .cc or .h C++ source
!file. When the pattern is found the entire procedure will
!be printed to stdout.

    A few years back, I picked up a tool called glimpse, from the
    University of Arizona. With this tool, you can define a "section
    delimiter" and search for a string pattern. It will output all the
    "sections" in which that pattern occured. In your case, you might be
    able to define a section delimiter as a pattern that occurs at the
    beginning of each procedure in your program.

    I still use glimpse to search through my bibliographic databases. I
    define an empty line as a delimiter between consecutive bibliographic
    entries and then search on any keyword, be it a part of the author's
    name or a part of title or whatever. The best part about glimpse is
    that you can use 'and' conditions. At that time, there was even a
    proposal to use a combination of 'and' and 'or' conditions within a
    single query. That functionality might be available now.

Nandakumar SANKARAN
nandu@lucent.com