Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES?

"Michael C. Werts" <michael_werts@taligent.com>
18 Jul 1997 12:35:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? maatwerk@euronet.nl (Mauk van der Laan) (1997-07-08)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? jhan@delphi.umd.edu (1997-07-09)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? poing@luna.nl (1997-07-13)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? mkgardne@cs.uiuc.edu (1997-07-16)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? poing@luna.nl (1997-07-16)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? danwang@dynamic.CS.Princeton.EDU (Daniel Wang) (1997-07-18)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? michael_werts@taligent.com (Michael C. Werts) (1997-07-18)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? kistler@ics.uci.edu (Thomas Kistler) (1997-07-22)
Re: Anybody has experience with SLIM BINARIES? pardo@cs.washington.edu (1997-07-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Michael C. Werts" <michael_werts@taligent.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jul 1997 12:35:40 -0400

Our moderator wrote:

> Paul
> [I would carefully investigage the many failed UNCOL projects over the
> past 40 years to be sure you understand why creating and using a
> common intermediate code is much harder than it looks. Slim binaries
> are a fine idea for Macs where you have different instruction sets
> with identical operating systems and data formats. As soon as you
> have more moving parts, the idea starts to collapse. -John]

What does UNCOL have to do with slim binaries? As I understand them,
slim binaries are not really an intermediate form at all, they are
simply a compressed representation of the source program. Writing a
loader for slim binaries would be essentially the same as writing an
Oberon compiler (with some differences in parsing).
[If you look at the slim binaries paper, he contrasts his approach with
Mac fat binaries. You're right, they're basically tree compressed source.
-John]