Executable Code Analysis

"Vivek Kr. Pai" <vkpai@miel.mot.com>
13 Jul 1997 11:41:56 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Executable Code Analysis vkpai@miel.mot.com (Vivek Kr. Pai) (1997-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Vivek Kr. Pai" <vkpai@miel.mot.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Jul 1997 11:41:56 -0400

Hi All,

I have the following problem with a disassembler that I am writing.

The disassembler is to reverse engineer a Windows 95 DLL. The DLL would
have many functions experted by name. (The DLL itself is a executable that
has to loaded and dynamically linked to by another executable. It cannot
exist on its own.) I can get the offset into the file where the function
starts by looking at the file header. Unfortunately, I do not know of a way
to get the end of a function. (for example, there may be a
conditional/unconditional jump to some other piece of code that is shared
by other functions.

Can somebody point me to the algorithm to use/point me to a source for
similar code? I have the DLL disassembled and is represented using an
intermediate representation.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Vivek Pai
(vkpai@miel.mot.com)
[If the DLL was written in assembler, I would doubt that there is a mecanical
way you can find function boundaries. -John]