[Q] Getting COFF debugging information

"David W. Coppit" <dwc3q@mamba.cs.virginia.edu>
13 Jul 1997 11:33:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[Q] Getting COFF debugging information dwc3q@mamba.cs.virginia.edu (David W. Coppit) (1997-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "David W. Coppit" <dwc3q@mamba.cs.virginia.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Jul 1997 11:33:16 -0400

I wrote a little utility to get the beginning and ending line numbers
of a function from the stabs information dumped by "objdump --stabs
binaryfile". I'd like to make this utility compatible with the COFF
debugging formats (a la the Sun compiler), but I can't get objdump to
decode the line number information, and objcopy doesn't seem to be
able to see it.

I know it's there, because I can fire up dbx and list the function
that way. This, however seems to be quite a large cloodge and I'd like
to avoid it if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I
might go about this?

The BFD library seems to have only minimal documentation, and looks
like quite a time-consuming route to take. (Besides, objdump uses BFD,
so the results probably won't be much better than that.)

Thanks,
David

David Coppit - Ph.D. Graduate Student coppit@cs.virginia.edu
The University of Virginia http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~dwc3q