Re: Need extraction tool(parser)

The Flanagans <stevef7@erols.com>
8 Jul 1997 00:35:48 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need extraction tool(parser) rsimmons@xmission.xmission.com (Roger Simmons) (1997-06-30)
Re: Need extraction tool(parser) stevef7@erols.com (The Flanagans) (1997-07-08)
Re: Need extraction tool(parser) mzraly@athena.mit.edu (1997-07-09)
Re: Need extraction tool(parser) dwc3q@mamba.cs.virginia.edu (David W. Coppit) (1997-07-13)
Re: Need extraction tool(parser) nandu@lucent.com (1997-07-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: The Flanagans <stevef7@erols.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Jul 1997 00:35:48 -0400

My proposed solution assumes two things: The language in question is
C++ so I'm assuming there isn't much code to go through ( compared to
say the body of COBOL code of a Fortune 500 company ). Also, it is a
one time deal. If either is not the case, then please forgive me.
The low-tech, expedient suggestion ( which goes against the grain in
this group ) is: I would grep for the patterns ( using whichever flag
displays the matching text with file name and line number ), route the
output to a file, then run a small C/C++ program to read in the output
file, open the files and starting at the specified line, manually
cursor both up and down in some fashion until you have all the lines
of the function and then hit a final 'snip' key which writes out
test.fnc or something.