Re: JIT Compilers, looking for info

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
4 Jul 1997 14:53:19 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
JIT Compilers, looking for info bana@wins.uva.nl (Bart Nabbe) (1997-06-30)
Re: JIT Compilers, looking for info pardo@cs.washington.edu (1997-07-04)
Re: JIT Compilers, looking for info dittmar@berlin.snafu.de (1997-07-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Jul 1997 14:53:19 -0400

Bart Nabbe <bana@wins.uva.nl> wrote:
>Can somebody give me some references to information about JIT compiler
>techniques.

Here's a few of my favorites; note that I'm biased about the Shade
paper since I helped write it. The first two papers are classic
references, with the former discussing a variety of basic tradeoffs
and the latter discussing varying levels of optimization. The latter
two papers are complicated by their treatment of arbitrary code, where
contemporary JITs can rely on symbolic information to streamline the
compilation process. The Shade paper contains an extensive
bibliography. See also my web page on instruction-level simulation
and tracing
"http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/pardo/sim.d/index.html".

;-D on ( Just in time bibliography ) Pardo

%A Peter Deutsch
%A Alan M. Schiffman
%T Efficient Implementation of the Smalltalk-80 System
%J 11th Annual Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages
(POPL-11)
%D January 1984
%P 297-302

%A Cathy May
%T Mimic: A Fast S/370 Simulator
%J Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN 1987 Symposium on Interpreters and
Interpretive Techniques; SIGPLAN Notices
%V 22
%N 6
%C St. Paul, MN
%D June 1987
%P 1-13

%A Bob Cmelik
%A David Keppel
%T Shade: A Fast Instruction-Set Simulator for Execution Profiling
%J Proceedings of the 1994 ACM SIGMETRICS Conference
on the Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems
%D May 1994
%P 128-137
%X ABSTRACT
Tracing tools are used widely to help analyze, design, and
tune both hardware and software systems. This paper
describes a tool called Shade which combines efficient
instruction-set simulation with a flexible, extensible trace
generation capability. Efficiency is achieved by
dynamically compiling and caching code to simulate and
trace the application program. The user may control the
extent of tracing in a variety of ways; arbitrarily detailed
application state information may be collected during the
simulation, but tracing less translates directly into greater
efficiency. Current Shade implementations run on SPARC
systems and simulate the SPARC (Versions 8 and 9) and
MIPS I instruction sets. This paper describes the
capabilities, design, implementation, and performance of
Shade, and discusses instruction set emulation in general.