Re: Contemplating writing first compiler... comments please.

gelleric@kafka.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Wolfgang Gellerich)
4 Jul 1997 14:38:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Contemplating writing first compiler... comments please. mch24@harvey27.demon.co.uk (1997-06-30)
Re: Contemplating writing first compiler... comments please. gelleric@kafka.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (1997-07-04)
Re: Contemplating writing first compiler... comments please. cdw10@cix.compulink.co.uk (1997-07-08)
Re: Contemplating writing first compiler... comments please. mrm1@msm.cam.ac.uk (1997-07-21)
Re: Contemplating writing first compiler... comments please. HSauro@fssc.demon.co.uk (Herbert M Sauro) (1997-07-22)
Re: Contemplating writing first compiler... comments please. pardo@cs.washington.edu (1997-07-29)
Re: Contemplating writing first compiler... comments please. anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1997-08-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gelleric@kafka.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Wolfgang Gellerich)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Jul 1997 14:38:30 -0400

Hello Martin,

I think code generation will be a major problem in your project
because of all those little details you need to care about in order to
produce really executable .exe files. My suggestion is to generate a
symbolic intermediate code instead, and then have an interpreter
executing that code. Advantages are that it is much easies to generate
such a code, its easier to check its correctness and last not least
this approach is also used professionally: the UCSD Pascal, Modula-2
and Fortran implementations used this approach, and that idea has
recently been recycled for the implementation of Java (here in order
to get hardware- independent machine code).

For an idea of how such a code might look like, take a look into
"compiler construction" by Niklaus Wirth (by the way, I think that
those editions of that book which used Modula-2 as implementation
language are better then the current edition - my personal opinion
only...).

Hope that helps,

    Wolfgang Gellerich