Re: syntax checker/debugger ?

mzraly@athena.mit.edu (Michael S. Zraly)
30 Jun 1997 23:03:17 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
syntax checker/debugger ? ggriffin@mdc.net (Gary) (1997-06-24)
Re: syntax checker/debugger ? karsten@tdr.dk (Karsten Nyblad) (1997-06-30)
Re: syntax checker/debugger ? mzraly@athena.mit.edu (1997-06-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mzraly@athena.mit.edu (Michael S. Zraly)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jun 1997 23:03:17 -0400

Gary <ggriffin@mdc.net> wrote:
>I was thinking about how I would go about writing a syntax checker
>and/or debugger for an interpreted language. Does anyone know of a good
>resource that might talk about what algorithms and data structures lend
>themselves to this task?

One book I've seen on the shelves (but never read) is:

Rosenberg, Jonathan B., How Debuggers Work: Algorithms, Data Structures,
and Architecture.

According to amazon.com ...

    Paperback, 256 pages
    Published by John Wiley & Sons
    Publication date: October 1, 1996
    Dimensions (in inches): 9.28 x 7.54 x .65
    ISBN: 0471149667
    List: $34.95 ~ Our Price: $27.96 ~ You Save: $6.99 (20%)
    Availability: This item usually ships within 2-3 days.

    The publisher, John Wiley & Sons:

    Debuggers are tools to help remove bugs from software. Virtually all
    programmers and software developers are utilizing debuggers, but few
    know how to interpret the results they obtain from them. Using a hands-
    on, problem-solving approach, this unique reference explains how
    debuggers work, why programmers use them, and then discusses the
    algorithms involved in the debugging process.

    Synopsis:

    Virtually all programmers and software developers are utilizing
    debuggers, but few know how to interpret the results they obtain from
    them. Using a hands-on, problem-solving approach, this unique reference
    explains how debuggers work, why programmers use them, and then
    discusses the algorithms involved in the debugging process.

    Table of Contents

    Debugger Architecture
    Hardware Debugger Facilities
    Operating System Debugger Infrastructure
    Controlling Execution
    Breakpoints and Single Stepping
    Discovering Program Context
    Inspecting Data and Variables