Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer.

Greg Miller <gmiller@iswt.com>
20 Jun 1997 21:39:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. gclind01@starbase.spd.louisville.edu (1997-06-15)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. disc@disclink.com (DISC) (1997-06-19)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. cliffc@risc.sps.mot.com (Cliff Click) (1997-06-19)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. gmiller@iswt.com (Greg Miller) (1997-06-20)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. lehotsky@tiac.net (1997-06-20)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. rnordier@iafrica.com (Robert Nordier) (1997-06-24)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. jim-neil@digital.net (1997-06-24)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. jbuck@synopsys.com (1997-06-24)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. bromage@cs.mu.oz.au (1997-06-30)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. charles.marslett@tempe.vlsi.com (1997-06-30)

From: Greg Miller <gmiller@iswt.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: 20 Jun 1997 21:39:30 -0400

George C. Lindauer wrote:

> 2) in the real world we have two reasons for the average programmer's
> dilemma: a) skill and b) constraints of management that often
> emphasize fast turnaround over good engineering? A good optimizing

Well, frankly, fast turnaround and good engineering *both* tend to
result in slower code.

> where compilers fit in the scheme of things? Are good optimizing
> compilers really all they are cracked up to be? Or is it simply true
> that academic types like to think their work important and business
> types accept it because they can turn out more inefficient code,
> faster, and still have things run just barely well enough to satisfy
> their customers? (with of course the help of hardware types who make

Well, I've never seen a compiler that was better than a typical
assembly coder, but the truth is that the costs of coding in assembly
don't pay for the benefits. Hand-coded assembly tends to be a little
faster, but not enough to make it worth the effort. In the end, barely
fast enough to satisfy customers is exactly where you should aim, as a
professional. Anything more is risking bugs and extra development
time, for no significant benefit.
--
Got Atari stuff to get rid of? Virtual Boy? Looking for M:TG cards, L5R,
ShadowFist, Guardians? Want more Atari or Sega stuff? Mail me, or visit: