Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer.

DISC <disc@disclink.com>
19 Jun 1997 00:03:34 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. gclind01@starbase.spd.louisville.edu (1997-06-15)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. disc@disclink.com (DISC) (1997-06-19)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. cliffc@risc.sps.mot.com (Cliff Click) (1997-06-19)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. gmiller@iswt.com (Greg Miller) (1997-06-20)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. lehotsky@tiac.net (1997-06-20)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. rnordier@iafrica.com (Robert Nordier) (1997-06-24)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. jim-neil@digital.net (1997-06-24)
Re: optimizing compiler against iaverage assembly programmer. jbuck@synopsys.com (1997-06-24)

From: DISC <disc@disclink.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: 19 Jun 1997 00:03:34 -0400

George C. Lindauer wrote:
> 2) in the real world we have two reasons for the average programmer's
> dilemma: a) skill and b) constraints of management that often
> emphasize fast turnaround over good engineering? A good optimizing
> compiler doesn't change your skill level, it just lets you avoid

I would suggest that hidden in here is :

      3) The tool improves your efficiency. This isn't a get it now and
we won't manage well issue. A CORRECTLY written tool will have one
great advantage over me, it won't generate errors. Even if the tool
is only 90% as effective as I am at optimizing my code it will do so
in probably 1-5% of the time on a large program. It will do this
mainly by not missing optimizations the first time through and not
forgetting to make necessary changes later in the software that
cascade from a optimization. If I really need the other 10%, I can
get it in a probably overall shorter time then if I did all
optimization by hand. In that sense the optimizing compiler is like
any other good computer tool, it takes care of "grunt work" allowing
you more time and less stress for the "creative" work.

Herb