inteligent diff?

Norman Hilton <norman@kbss.bt.co.uk>
13 Jun 1997 22:08:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
inteligent diff? norman@kbss.bt.co.uk (Norman Hilton) (1997-06-13)
Re: intelligent diff? mps@ford.uchicago.edu (1997-06-15)
Re: intelligent diff? mtimmerm@microstar.com (1997-06-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Norman Hilton <norman@kbss.bt.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Jun 1997 22:08:55 -0400

I have a bungh of programs held under the SCCS source control program
and I want to be able to detect if the source of certain block
constructs has changed between revisions of a source file.

I have hacked together something using diff and awk, but
because the language is free-format it does not do the job
perfectly.

Does anyone have any tools to do the job better?

I have a yacc-based processor for the language, which builds
trees and then walks them. I could imagine building trees for
the old and new versions and then comparing. Does anyone
have algorithms for telling whether nodes have been added
or deleted when a difference occurs?

Norman Hilton (norman@kbss.bt.co.uk)
[I believe I've seen work on comparing parse trees. -John]