Administrative change at comp.compilers re forged addresses

John R Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
25 May 1997 13:52:17 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Administrative change at comp.compilers re forged addresses johnl@iecc.com (John R Levine) (1997-05-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: John R Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 May 1997 13:52:17 -0400

I have recently upgraded the mail system at iecc.com to use qmail, a
faster, smaller, and more reliable mailer than the one I used to use.
One of qmail's nice features is that it makes it a lot easier to trace
bounce messages, reports of mail that couldn't be delivered.

Comp.compilers has always had a policy of not accepting messges from
forged return addresses, but I wasn't able to track them very well in
the past. Now I can, so if the auto-ack to your message bounces, your
message will be thrown away. Most messages with forged addresses are
spam, so this shouldn't affect many real users.

If you have a message that you'd like me to post without your real
address, send a note to compilers-request@iecc.com briefly explaining
the situation and I'll consider it.

Regards,
John Levine, comp.compilers moderator,