Re: LEX/YACC EDI Translator?

cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark)
25 May 1997 13:40:44 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LEX/YACC EDI Translator? mikesw@dhp.com (1997-05-22)
Re: LEX/YACC EDI Translator? cfc@world.std.com (1997-05-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 May 1997 13:40:44 -0400

> I'm wondering if the Lex/Yacc tools can be used to write an
> Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) translator? Eventually the
> translation maps could be changed per each trading partners
> specification on the fly and hence, the parsing and translation with
> associated errors would change correspondingly.

Definitely a straight-forward parsing task. The description I elided
suggests that a parser which supports regular expressions might make
the task easier. There are several candidates in that area that I am
aware of (and probably even more that I'm not), such as Yacc++, Visual
Parse++, and PCCTS. I have heard of similar tasks (for example,
networking protocols) successfully being attacked as parsing problems.

-Chris

Compiler Resources, Inc. CompuServe : 74252,1375
3 Proctor Street voice : (508) 435-5016
Hopkinton, MA 01748 USA fax : (508) 435-4847 (24 hours)