Re: Do we need parsers?

Scott Stanchfield <thetick@scruz.net>
19 May 1997 23:23:31 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Do we need parsers? john@dwaf-hri.pwv.gov.za (John Carter) (1997-05-13)
Re: Do we need parsers? thetick@scruz.net (Scott Stanchfield) (1997-05-15)
Re: Do we need parsers? dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1997-05-16)
Re: Do we need parsers? monnier+/news/comp/compilers@tequila.cs.yale.edu (Stefan Monnier) (1997-05-17)
Re: Do we need parsers? thetick@scruz.net (Scott Stanchfield) (1997-05-19)
Re: Do we need parsers? David.Monniaux@ens-lyon.fr (1997-05-22)
Re: Do we need parsers? john@dwaf-hri.pwv.gov.za (John Carter) (1997-05-22)
Re: Do we need parsers? nkramer@jprc.com (Nick Kramer) (1997-05-30)
Re: Do we need parsers? dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1997-06-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Scott Stanchfield <thetick@scruz.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 May 1997 23:23:31 -0400

Stefan -- I like the way you think...

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (David Gay) writes:
> > 2) you lose all the programmer tools that assume text-based
> programs,
> > e.g. grep, revision control systems, etc.
>
> grep can still be used since a text-representation is available (and
> can even be chosen) via an unparser. RCS is bit more painful in that

The idea I was working from is that the file could be displayed in
many different forms in the editor, or exported as text for
compilation.

Version control would be a part of the editing system (a repository data
base.)

> - getting rid of the text-representation allows more freedom, like
> having each
> user choose the representation they prefer (some might like
> lisp-style
> parentheses, others might prefer begin..end or {..}, ...)

This was another cool thing I was thinking about -- the user could
even skip {..} use altogether in favor of indentation. Then they
could print/export it in whatever style they want.

Because the structure is a composition of objects, you basically define
a visitor class that walks the objects to display them. You could
display them for editing, or as a flowchart w/symbols, or as a tree
(like Windoze dir tree) showing control constructions only.
--
Scott Stanchfield Santa Cruz,CA
Visit my PCCTS Tutorial at http://www.scruz.net/~thetick/pcctstut