JAVAR 1.3.2 beta available

"Aart J.C. Bik" <ajcbik@extreme.indiana.edu>
8 May 1997 21:43:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
JAVAR 1.3.2 beta available ajcbik@extreme.indiana.edu (Aart J.C. Bik) (1997-05-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Aart J.C. Bik" <ajcbik@extreme.indiana.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 May 1997 21:43:36 -0400

In an earlier posting, we announced JAVAR, a free available prototype
restructuring compiler for Java (1.0.2) that provides support to make
implicit loop parallelism (indicated by annotations) explicit by means
of multi-threading.

The tool has now been extended to provide support to exploit
parallelism in multi-way recursive methods. In addition, the tool can
now also generate an HTML representation of Java compilation units.
An example of the kind of HTML output that is generated by JAVAR can
be found at:

    http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~ajcbik/JAVAR/HTML/index.html

Documentation of the parallelization methods used by JAVAR, the JAVAR
manual, LICENSE information, and the complete Lex, Yacc, and C-source
of the new version JAVAR 1.3.2BETA are made available for education,
research, and non-profit purposes. These files are located at the
HP-Java page at Indiana University:

    http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/hpjava/

JAVAR does *NOT* provide a complete Java front-end (unicode escapes
are not supported and only limited semantic analysis has been
implemented) and it relies completely on the identification of
`implicit' parallelism by means of annotations. Note, however, that
because JAVAR is written in a compiled language, our experience is
that JAVAR can also be useful as a rapid syntax and (limited)
semantics checker before a full Java compiler is invoked.

-- Aart J.C. Bik (ajcbik@cs.indiana.edu)