Re: Design of Virtual Machines

David L Moore <dlmoore@ix.netcom.com>
6 Apr 1997 22:27:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Design of Virtual Machines D.C.Page@massey.ac.nz (Dave) (1997-04-03)
Re: Design of Virtual Machines allanmac@blueprint.com (Allan MacKinnon) (1997-04-06)
Re: Design of Virtual Machines dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1997-04-06)
Re: Design of Virtual Machines elcm@pacbell.net (Eliot & Linda) (1997-04-06)
Re: Design of Virtual Machines oz@ds9.rnd.border.com (1997-04-13)
Re: Design of Virtual Machines rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1997-04-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: David L Moore <dlmoore@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Apr 1997 22:27:13 -0400

> I am part of a group at Massey university building a meta-CASE tool.
> Part of this work is related to an object orientated language we have
> designed for representing software engineering methodologies.
> I am interested in the design of virtual machines, their architecture,
> instructions sets, the context they were uses in, interpreters and so on.

To which Dave replied:

Rather than a virtual machine, for case tools you probably want a
permanent repesentation. A permanent representation is more or less
the source with the syntactic sugar taken out and various tables (like
identifier tables) built - it is a tree or a graph.

I see no reason why such a representation could not be made
executable, perhaps using partial evaluation.