Re: looking for document on GNU RTL

Darius Blasband <darius@phidani.be>
18 Mar 1997 13:02:34 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
looking for document on GNU RTL jwang@sun1019.spd.dsccc.com (1997-03-14)
Re: looking for document on GNU RTL darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1997-03-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Darius Blasband <darius@phidani.be>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,gnu.gcc.help
Date: 18 Mar 1997 13:02:34 -0500

Jianbai Wang wrote:
> I'm looking for documents or literature on GNU Register Transfer Language
> and machine description (other than the GNU manual "Using and Porting GCC").
> Any info will be appreciated.

As part of a research project that intents to couple our YAFL compiler
with the GNU backend instead of producing intermediate C code, we have
been facing exactly the same problem. The student who took care of
this (His name is Didier Barzin, http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~dbarzin)
has been looking for formal information in many places, with little if
any success.

He took the hard way (and has been rather successful doing so) by
reading examples over and over again, even reading the source code of
existing compilers in some cases.

He does not address RTL directly, he rather refers to the intermediate
tree-based representation, and lets GNU produce RTL for
him. Therefore, his experience might not be very useful to you...

Hope this helps,

Darius.

http://www.phidani.be/~darius