Book: "Compilers and Compiler Generators: An Introduction using C++"

"Pat Terry" <CSPT@giraffe.ru.ac.za>
5 Mar 1997 21:34:59 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Book: "Compilers and Compiler Generators: An Introduction using C++" CSPT@giraffe.ru.ac.za (Pat Terry) (1997-03-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Pat Terry" <CSPT@giraffe.ru.ac.za>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Mar 1997 21:34:59 -0500

I am pleased to announce that my new book has now been published:

      Compilers and Compiler Generators: An Introduction using C++

      P.D. Terry, Rhodes University

      ISBN 1-85032-298-8
      International Thomson Computer Press, 1997

This has been written to support a practically oriented course in
programming language translation, focussing on LL(1) parsing, and the
use both of hand-crafted methods and the tool Coco/R.

For those who do not know, Coco/R generates recursive descent parsers
and their associated scanners from attribute grammars. Coco/R,
developed originally by Hanspeter Moessenboeck in Linz, is extremely
easy to use. While not a toy, it is ideally suited to introductory
courses.

A prime aim of the book has been to provide a sufficient level of
theory without overwhelming the reader with too much mathematical
detail, and to provide extensive case studies and exercises to capture
the reader's interest.

C++ is used for the text's illustrations, although source code for all
of the case studies is provided on a accompanying disk in each of C++,
Modula-2 and Turbo Pascal. This code is also available by ftp from

    cs.ru.ac.za/pub/languages/textbook (Source code and Coco/R executables)
    cs.ru.ac.za/pub/languages/coco (Full Coco/R kits)