Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95???

The Flanagans <stevef7@erols.com>
1 Mar 1997 21:45:07 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? omit@washington.xtn.net (Akintunde Omitowoju) (1997-02-16)
Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? WStreett@shell.monmouth.com (1997-02-20)
Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? schauerw@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at (Schauer Werner) (1997-02-20)
Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? a-bnc@MICROSOFT.com (Nicholas Carey (BEST)) (1997-02-22)
Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? stevef7@erols.com (The Flanagans) (1997-03-01)
Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? rivetchuck@aol.com (1997-03-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: The Flanagans <stevef7@erols.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Mar 1997 21:45:07 -0500

Akintunde Omitowoju wrote:

> Hello everyone:
>
> I am creating a subset of a C++ grammar for my thesis work, but I am not
> sure whether the code generated by Flex and Bison for the DOS version of
> the GNU compiler will work.

          If Bison is truly yacc compatible, then any recent version will
have source and generated code that is ANSI C compliant. One problem I
ran into ( other than Unix vs. DOS file paths and names ) is the size
of a grammar can exceed certain memory limits of a 16-bit DOS
port. Specifically, I was working with an SQL grammar that had over
1,000 lookahead sets which exceeded the maximum size of the array that
handles that ( 64k segment barrier ) in yacc.

        With almost no effort at all ( as another reply points out ), I
made 32-bit OS/2 and Windows NT versions of yacc with the greater
limits, processed the grammar... ( cut me off if I'm going on ) and
then compiled the generated automation under 16-bit DOS without any
problems ( I did have to use one compiler flag to put the largest
tables in their own data segments to get under 64k data ).

Bottom line: "it should be painless".