Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95???

"Nicholas Carey (BEST)" <a-bnc@MICROSOFT.com>
22 Feb 1997 23:07:45 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? omit@washington.xtn.net (Akintunde Omitowoju) (1997-02-16)
Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? WStreett@shell.monmouth.com (1997-02-20)
Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? schauerw@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at (Schauer Werner) (1997-02-20)
Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? a-bnc@MICROSOFT.com (Nicholas Carey (BEST)) (1997-02-22)
Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? stevef7@erols.com (The Flanagans) (1997-03-01)
Re: Lex and Yacc (or Flex and Bison) for Win95??? rivetchuck@aol.com (1997-03-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Nicholas Carey (BEST)" <a-bnc@MICROSOFT.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Feb 1997 23:07:45 -0500

Akintunde Omitowoju <omit@washington.xtn.net> wrote:
>> I was just wondering whether there is a usable version of Lex and Yacc
>> (or Flex and Bison) that can be used in
>> conjuction with Visual C++ v4.0 for Win95.

It really is a pretty trivial operation to port either FLEX or BISON
to NT -- less than half a day each, by my experience. There's a little
work to do in BISON in configuring where it finds the BISON skeleton
files and suchlike. If I remember right, FLEX had one conflict with
the name of one header file. I fixed it by renaming the header file in
FLEX and doing a global change in the source.

I ported the current BISON (v1.25?) to NT (under VC++ 4.2) and sent
Richard Stallman (GNU guru/BISON maintainer) the diffs. He integrated
them into the BISON source and it compiled out of the box, as it
were. With any luck, these diffs will be integrated into the next
release of BISON.

I didn't send him the VC++ make/project files though. They're pretty
straight forward to create inside the IDE. And there's no reason you
can't use nmake on the command line (if that's your wont).

N.