SV: BNF definitions for EDIFACT

persson_jens@mail.btj.se
20 Feb 1997 00:12:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
BNF definitions for EDIFACT softstar@pol88a.polito.it (Enrico Badella) (1997-02-11)
SV: BNF definitions for EDIFACT persson_jens@mail.btj.se (1997-02-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: persson_jens@mail.btj.se
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Feb 1997 00:12:40 -0500

>Can someone point me to the BNF or similar definitions of the EDIFACT
>standard? I have done some searching with altavista and found some
>docs but no real definitions that can be applied with lex&yacc

Hello, being familiar with EDIFACT but only acquainted with BNF,
lex & yacc I'd like to put my 2c of knowledge in this question:

EDIFACT is a standard presented by UN in directories apox. twice a year.
The standard changes all the time and the messages is not totally
stabile.

Today it is officially a ascii text that mostly is meant for human
reading but the format is possible to parse (I have done it crudely
in pascal). There is work under way to standardize the documentation
of EDIFACT messages into a EDIFACT message that inheritably is machine
readable.

To conclude I think You need to parse the standard into some thing that
then can be feed into some thing that produces message reading
software.

The standard documents can be found in official form at:
http://www.premenos.com/

and in the proposed standard EDIFACT form at:
http://www.edi-tie.nl/EDIFACT/dirdef.htm

/jp

Jens Persson
E-mail: persson_jens@mail.btj.se