HELP needed with this s/r error

Seet Chern Hway <chseet@iti.gov.sg>
16 Feb 1997 23:15:57 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
HELP needed with this s/r error chseet@iti.gov.sg (Seet Chern Hway) (1997-02-16)
Re: HELP needed with this s/r error clark@quarry.zk3.dec.com (1997-02-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Seet Chern Hway <chseet@iti.gov.sg>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 1997 23:15:57 -0500

I hope somebody can help me overcome an s/r error in the grammar I have
constructed to parse a language. The language has the following
fragment:

      INDEX name [segment]
      [ , INDEX name [segment] ]...

      where segment refers to the fragment
            SEGMENT item [ , item ]...

The s/r error can be reproduced by the simplified YACC productions shown
below. The problem is caused by the occurrence of the ',' separator
used in both the list_index and list_item productions.

Could somebody help me rewrite the grammar to avoid the s/r error
please?

Seet Chern Hway
Information Technology Institute
email: chseet@iti.gov.sg

------------- start of grammar ------------

%token INDEX name SEGMENT item ','

%start fragment
%%

fragment
    : list_index
    ;

list_index
    | list_index ',' index
    ;

    : INDEX name SEGMENT list_item
    | INDEX name
    ;

list_item
    : item
    | list_item ',' item
    ;
[Looks to me like this is LR(2) -- when it sees a comma it has to reduce one
rule or the other but it can't because it needs to look ahead and see if
there is an INDEX following. -John]