Compiler Books was: Is it just me or...

evan@cyber2.servtech.com (evan cheng)
16 Feb 1997 22:56:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is it just me or... jaycole@bgn.mindspring.com (1997-01-22)
Re: Is it just me or... genew@mindlink.bc.ca (1997-01-25)
Re: Is it just me or... andrei@iastate.edu (1997-02-08)
Re: Is it just me or... cdc@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (Carl Cerecke) (1997-02-11)
Compiler Books was: Is it just me or... evan@cyber2.servtech.com (1997-02-16)
Re: Compiler Books was: Is it just me or... danwang@nordica.CS.Princeton.EDU (1997-02-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: evan@cyber2.servtech.com (evan cheng)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 1997 22:56:10 -0500

People have mentioned both the Dragon Book and Fraser and Hanson's
book in this thread. I would like to hear opinions on a new book that
is supposely going to replace the Dragon book as the standard compiler
text book.

I am talking about the Tiger Book by Andrew Appel:
http://www.cs.Princeton.EDU/~appel/

There are three versions of this book, each differ on the
implementation language of choice. The three languages are C, Java,
and ML.

Note, the full version of the book is not out yet. The 1997 edition is
a preliminary edition covering all the fudamentals plus some advanced
topics. The 1998 edition promised to be far more comprehensive,
covering advanced topics such as error recovery, polymorphism, SSA,
pipelining, and etc.

I haven't seen this book yet, so I would like to hear some opinions on
it from those of you have.

Thanks,

Evan
Evan Cheng evan@top.cis.syr.edu