Re: Imperative / Functional Compiling -- help!

holtrf@destinyusa.com (Russell Holt)
11 Feb 1997 22:25:47 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Imperative / Functional Compiling -- help! theobaam@email.uc.edu (Allen Theobald) (1997-02-07)
Re: Imperative / Functional Compiling -- help! holtrf@destinyusa.com (1997-02-11)
Re: Imperative / Functional Compiling -- help! wdonne@ibm.net (Werner Donne') (1997-02-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: holtrf@destinyusa.com (Russell Holt)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.functional,comp.compilers
Date: 11 Feb 1997 22:25:47 -0500

Allen Theobald <theobaam@email.uc.edu> wrote:

> Do the theory an techniques of compiler construction vary based on the
> type of language being compiled? That is, what is different between
> compiling imperative languages vs. compiling functional languages?
> What are the similarities?

I think that static versus dynamic typing is a more relavant question
than imperative versus functional. Static typing requires significant
analysis and linking at compile time, whereas a dynamic language can
(is forced to?) delay this until run-time. You don't need a symbol table
for a dynamic language during compilation, for example (although it
certainly helps the programmers).

--
holtrf@destinyusa.com http://www.destinyusa.com/russ/