graph drawing help

"Carolyn L. McCreary" <mccreary@Eng.Auburn.EDU>
11 Feb 1997 22:21:16 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
graph drawing help mccreary@Eng.Auburn.EDU (Carolyn L. McCreary) (1997-02-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Carolyn L. McCreary" <mccreary@Eng.Auburn.EDU>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Feb 1997 22:21:16 -0500

John and anyone interested in graph drawing tools:

A research group at Auburn has developed a system for drawing graphs
that you can run on the internet without installing any of the
software we've developed. All you need is Netscape 3.1 or Internet
Explorer. The system contains two main components: a graph editor and
several graph display algorithms. The graph editor allows you to draw
nodes and connect them visually with edges. Nodes can be moved and
deleted. The graph can then be redrawn automatically with the layout
algorithms.

There are two forms of input/output for the graphs: the visual display
and a textual display in the format of GML. GML was developed by
Himsolt of GraphEd fame at U. of Passau. I've included a simple
example of a text in the format of GML. To see more complex examples,
draw a graph using the graph editor and under edit, choose to edit the
textual representation.

Currently there are three layout algorithms that run well enough to
hopefully be of help with your visualizations: tree, CGD for directed
graphs, and spring for undirected graphs. The properties menu will
allow you to specify if your graph is directed or not.

All graphs are actually in 3-dimensions and you can use this feature
if you like. For a 3-d perspective, drag your mouse through the
section called "Viewing Angles".

We are continuously working on this project so many changes will be
made. However, since you do not need to install the software, anytime
you access it through the web, you'll get the latest version. We will
try to keep only stable software at this site on the web.

This is a simple to use graphing aid with few features to confuse the
user. Hope you like it. Let me know if you have any suggestions for
enhancing the tool.

To draw a graph open web site:
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/graph_drawing/graph_drawing.html

C. McCreary
Auburn University
Example graph in GML. No node placement is given, so all nodes are piled in a
single location. To visualize all nodes in the tree, select tree from the
algorithms menu.

directed 1
node
[
id 0
]
node
[
id 1
]
node
[
id 2
]
node
[
id 3
]
edge
[
source 0
target 1
]
edge
[
source 0
target 3
]
edge
[
source 1
target 2
]

  GML version of the same graph with node locations, node shapes and other
information particular to VGJ. You may specify node with labels other than
Node 0 ...Node n by writing its name in the label field between quotes.

directed 1
node
[
id 0