re: Regexps from DFA

Jean Mehat <jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr>
3 Feb 1997 13:44:21 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
re: Regexps from DFA jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr (Jean Mehat) (1997-02-03)
Re: Regexps from DFA clark@quarry.zk3.dec.com (1997-02-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jean Mehat <jm@ai.univ-paris8.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Feb 1997 13:44:21 -0500
Reference: 97-02-020

G V Murthy:
> what regexp would describe a given set of strings.

Mod:
> I still don't understand the question. RE's are either valid or not,

I once dreamed to have a unix ls command option that would do:
$ ls --regexpr
a.out makefile *.c *.o
$ ls --regexpr2
a.out makefile foo.[co] bar.[co] joe.[co]

It might be expressed as a ``minimal regexpr for a given set of strings''.
I didn't clarify the notion of generality vs. simplicity, as '.*' can match
anything and has a minimal number of states as a DFA, while the exact match
for all strings is minimal in term of size of the generated language.
The interesting expr/automatas are somewhere in between.

What I can say is that an algorithm inspired from the minimal spanning
tree (combine the two simplest automata) doesn't give anything really
useful.

--
Jean Mehat, universite de Paris 8 Vincennes a Saint Denis,
jm@univ-paris8.fr, (1) 49 40 64 03, (1) 49 40 67 83 (fax)