Re: C++ Front End for S-S Translator?

John Lilley <jlilley@empathy.com>
26 Jan 1997 22:43:43 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C++ Front End for S-S Translator? greened@eecs.umich.edu (1997-01-25)
Re: C++ Front End for S-S Translator? jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-01-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: John Lilley <jlilley@empathy.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Jan 1997 22:43:43 -0500

David Greene wrote:

> I'm looking for a C (and eventually C++) front end...

> I've been working with the C++ grammar packaged with PCCTS (with the
> additions by John Lilley), but the symbol table provided does not
> carry much information ...

Hi David. I've been working on an update of the C++ parser. There is
still no AST generation, but there is now a lot of type, declaration,
and scope information in the symbol table. Function bodies are parsed
for syntax but mostly ignored, so perhaps this won't help you since it
sounds like you need ASTs for statements and expressions. Perhaps
there is more information in the symbol table than is reasonable, but
C++ requires that be available to the parser for template partial
specializations (or so I have concluded -- if anyone knows otherwise I
would love to hear about it). Anyway, if you are interested in the
updated work, drop me a line. My effort right now is directed towards
templates, and once that is at least limping along I'll "release" an
update to my web site.

john lilley