RDP on Minix-386

fjs@mail.netacc.net (Fred Joseph Scipione)
26 Jan 1997 22:43:20 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
RDP on Minix-386 fjs@mail.netacc.net (1997-01-26)
Re: RDP on Minix-386 aswNS@hamp.hampshire.edu (1997-01-29)
Re: RDP on Minix-386 ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1997-01-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: fjs@mail.netacc.net (Fred Joseph Scipione)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix,comp.compilers
Date: 26 Jan 1997 22:43:20 -0500

I have been porting the RDP 1.50 parser-generator package to Minix-386
(plus a few minor "improvments" of my own). My changes include a
"nearly" complete ANSI C grammar (parser only, no code generation
yet).

One of the porting challenges was when the ACK compiler protested that
some functions were called with more arguments than its limit.
Although I have gotten past that problem, I am curious to know if I am
correct in the assumption that the ANSI spec. explicitly permits a
limit for the number of arguments to a variadic function? If so, I
can report the problem as a legitimate "bug" which needs my fix :-).

I am also curious to know if there is any interest within this group
in the results. In particular, I could use some help in fleshing out
the C grammar to the point where it might serve as a "lint" program or
an actual compiler for Z80, 8086, and 80386 CPU's. I am already aware
of the Amsterdam Compiler Kit, GNU C, Bruce Evan's compiler, CC68K,
LCC, etc., but I still want to go this route because:

        1. It will extend my education beyond mere "toy" grammars to all
              the nitty-gritty details.

        2. I intend to become famous as the author (one of the authors?)
              of a FREEWARE (no CopyLeft) ANSI C compiler/assembler/linker
              package.

        3. I want to create a C compiler for the Z80 and 8086 which
              supports "far" and "huge" attributes via segments, overlays,
              and file mapping.

Thanks in advance.

Fred J. Scipione (fjs@netacc.net)