"Toba," A Robust Java-to-C System for Linux and Solaris

todd@cs.arizona.edu (Todd A. Proebsting)
20 Dec 1996 16:32:51 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
"Toba," A Robust Java-to-C System for Linux and Solaris todd@cs.arizona.edu (1996-12-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: todd@cs.arizona.edu (Todd A. Proebsting)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Dec 1996 16:32:51 -0500

SUBJECT
    "Toba," A Robust Java-to-C Translation System
    New Beta Release of Toba for Linux!

URL
    http://www.cs.arizona.edu/sumatra/toba/

DESCRIPTION

    "Toba" translates Java bytecodes to C. After being compiled, the
    generated routines link with Toba's run-time system, which includes a
    complete garbage collector, threads interface (Solaris version only),
    and core Java API.

    Toba translates applications (e.g., javac), not applets. Toba-translated
    applications typically run 3-5 times faster than those interpreted by Sun's
    JDK 1.0.2. Toba's API does not currently include AWT or dynamic linking.
    The Solaris version of Toba has thread support; the Linux version does
    not. (Thread support is not needed for many popular Java applications
    like javac.)

PLATFORM
    Solaris, Linux

BODY

Our freely-available distribution includes source code for all of
Toba---we encourage outside porting efforts. Toba (the translator) is
written in Java. The run-time system is in C. Toba uses the freely-
available Boehm-Weiser garbage collector. The Solaris version uses the
native Solaris threads package.

(We have not used any of Sun's source code--in any way--to develop Toba.
Toba source code is free of all of Sun's licensing restrictions.)

While this is a beta distribution, Toba appears robust. Because of their
significantly improved performance, we run Toba-compiled versions of javac
(and Toba itself) exclusively for development purposes and have done so
for the last four months.

For more information please visit our website,
http://www.cs.arizona.edu/sumatra/toba/

Or, simply fetch our distribution and enjoy running your java applications
many times faster:
ftp://ftp.cs.arizona.edu/sumatra/toba/toba.tar.Z

Toba is part of the larger, on-going "Sumatra" research project at the
Department of Computer Science of The University of Arizona. The Sumatra
project explores the issues surrounding efficient execution of mobile
code. For more information about the Sumatra Project, visit our website,
http://www.cs.arizona.edu/sumatra/

Members of the Sumatra Project:
Todd A. Proebsting (project leader)
John H. Hartman